Flowers are, no doubt, one of the most beautiful living thing that was created. Even Henry Ward Beecher, a famous Congregationalist clergyman in the mid 19th century, described them as "the most sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into". Flowers symbolizes a lot of things and were a part of the most memorable days in our life. Remember the first person who gave you those roses on Valentines Day? How about those lovely lilacs you've sent to your mother on Mother's Day? Flowers are important because they bring us happiness and emotions. The beauty of these flowers and the sentiment behind them gives people brightness and cheerful thoughts. Flowers have a certain magic to make people feel special every time they receive a bouquet of it. It allows individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken.
Many flowers have symbolic meaning in Western culture. This practice of giving meaning to flowers is known as floriography. The most common examples include:
- Red Roses are given as a symbol of passionate love and beauty.
- Lilacs symbolizes new love and also signify the love between mother and child, making these flowers a special choice for Mother's Day.
- Carnation for admiration or fascination.
- Poppies are a symbol of consolation in time of death. Red poppies are worn to commemorate soldiers who have died in times of war.
- Lilies are often used in burials since they denote life or resurrection.
- Daisies symbolizes innocence and purity.
- Orchids as a sign of refined beauty and elegance.
- Daffodils which signifies chivalry or respect.
- Tulips are often used in weddings and proposals which symbolizes declaration of love.
- Chrysanthemums which means secret admiration or slighted love.
If you want to know more about flowers and their meanings, you can find hundreds of them in the internet. If you are going to print those for references, make sure you use eco-friendly remanufactured ink and toner cartridges to help make the world a greener and beautiful place to live in like these flowers does.