So if your business hasn't jumped on the green business bandwagon yet then here are some steps on how to make your business green.
- Energy Efficient Lighting - Changing from incandescent bulbs to more energy-efficient light bulbs such as light emitting diodes (LEDs) and compact fluorescent lamps can let you save money and cut your electricity costs around $200 for every incandescent bulb replaced. Though these bulbs may cost more than traditional light bulbs, both will prove their worth in the long run, because they last much longer and use significantly less electricity.
- Save Electricity - Set the computers to go to sleep automatically after 30 minutes of inactivity and turn them off after office hours along with printers and copiers. This can let your business save from $50 up to $150 annually per device.
- Three Rs (Reduce, Reuse Recycle) - Reduce, reuse and recycle are the basics of going green. Reduce the usage of products that cannot be recycled, if this isn't possible then reuse it. This will reduce the amount of waste your business generates.
- Water Consumption - Using water efficiently today can help conserve it for the next generations to come. Install faucet aerators and low-flow toilets or check out for leaks then let them be fixed as soon as possible.
- Green Printing - Changing the way you print can mean a lot to the environment from reducing your carbon footprint to cutting off your printing expenses. Here are some ways on how to be greener with your printing:
- Go Green with Your Printer - Printer manufacturers are developing a large number of eco-friendly printers. Most of these printers are equipped with energy-saving mode, saving electricity when it is not use. You can also switch your printing setting to "eco-mode" to allow your printer to print using minimal amount of toner.
- Use Recycled Papers - Paper is the largest waste product in printing and by using recycled papers, you can save considerable amount of trees in the forests.
- Buy Recycled/Remanufactured Toner Cartridges - Buying recycled or remanufactured toner cartridges can help a lot to the environment. For each pound of new material used in remanufacturing, 5 to 9 virgin materials are conserved. Using remanufactured toner cartridges also saves energy. 3 quarts of oil are conserved every time you pick up a single remanufactured toner cartridge in the market. Beside from its environmental benefits, purchasing remanufactured toner cartridges can also save you up to 60% of your printing costs that can be used on more important business expenses.
Incorporating the "green virus" to your business or work place might need some motivation but the results will pay off well. Being environment-conscious and business minded at the same time can open a lot of doors to you and your business. So when will you start coloring your business green?