I did feature a wireless keyboard and mouse made in Bamboo in a previous post, and yes, there was also the ASUS Bamboo U33Jc laptop. The first may not be so mind-blowing unlike the latter since the design had been out in the market since 2000. However, I have not expected that there would be a Bamboo-design gadget that would amuse me more than the ASUS Bamboo U33Jc laptop until I have encountered the ADzero Bamboo Android Phone, the world's first bamboo smartphone.
The Bamboo Android Smartphone was designed and engineered by AD creative, "a young vibrant design company operating in the UK and China." Starting out as a concept way back in 2010 or 2011, the AD Creative finally confirmed that the ADzero handset might be released this year and possessed the following specifications:
- Processor: 1.4 GHz Samsung Exynos 4 (quad-core)
- Display: 4.5-inch TFT LCD with 720x1280 HD Resolution, 326ppi
- Handset Dimensions: 134 x 68 x 11.8 mm
- Operating System: Stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich + ADAOS (Open Bootloader)
- Networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS/HSPA+ 1900/2100 MHz
- Memory: 1 GB DDR2
- Storage: 16 GB internal storage
- Battery capacity: 2050 mAh
- Cameras: Rear-facing 8MP f/2.0 back illuminated sensor with RingFlash, 0.3MP front-facing camera
- Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n
According to ADzero Creative official website, "the ADzero smartphone will run ADAOS on Android 4.0, a light skin that will tie up some of the loose ends of the Android OS and ensure the User Interface & Experience is coherent with the AD design language." However, ADzero also stated that "the ADzero will initially be available in the UK. We are constantly analysing the demand in other countries and will ensure we keep you well up to date with our plans to expand into other countries."
Although the latter announcement may not still be confirmed, I hope that it will be released in the US as well. The ADzero Android Smartphone is another proof that we can take care of our environment while developing our technology. Just like how TonerGreen offers eco-friendly toner cartridges and ink cartridges that we can use in our printers to help reduce the carbon footprints we make in our everyday printing.