Having problems with toner specks appearing in the printouts of your Brother HL-2270DW? Well, for today’s article, this is the problem we’re aiming to fix by providing solutions as instructed and advised by your printer’s manufacturer, Brother. To start with, the Brother HL-2270DW is a compact laser printer with wireless networking and duplex printing which uses replacement printer consumables, Brother TN-450 Black Toner Cartridge. It’s an easy-to-use printing device that rarely causes a problem, but of course, like other printers in the market, it’s not an exception in experiencing the common printer problems. One of these is the toner speck as mentioned above and if you’re experiencing such thing, here are the things you should take note of to fix the problem.
First, identify the main cause of the problem. Toner specks are usually caused by either the three things:
- Make sure that you are using the right paper. Take note that rough-surfaced papers may causeproblem. To make sure that the paper you are using meets your printer’s specification. Here is a list of paper and the specifications needed: Plain Paper, Recycled Paper, Bond Paper, Thin Paper, Thick Paper or Thicker Paper, Label and Envelopes (Env.Thin, Env.Thick)
- Basis weight: 75-90 g/m2 (20-24 lb)
- Thickness: 80-110 μm
- Roughness: Higher than 20 sec.
- Stiffness: 90-150 cm3/100
- Grain direction: Long grain paper with a neutral Ph value, and a moisture content of approx. 5%
- Volume resistivity: 10e9-10e11 ohm
- Surface resistivity: 10e9-10e12 ohm-cm
- Filler: CaCO3 (Neutral)
- Ash content: Below 23 wt%
- Brightness: HIGHER Than 80%
- Opacity: HIGHER than 85%
- Toner specks may also be cause by damaged or worn-out drum unit. Remember that the drum unit is a printer consumable and needs to be replaced for every three times you replaced the toner to ensure quality printouts. The Brother HL-2270DW uses replacement drum unit, Brother DR-420 Black Drum Unit which has a page yield of 12,000 pages. To replace the drum unit, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the machine is turned on. Leave the machine for at least 10 minutes to cool down.
- Open the front cover.
- Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- Push down the green lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Unpack the new drum unit.
- Put the toner cartridge firmly into the new drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put the cartridge in properly, the green lock lever will lift automatically.
- Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back into the machine. Do not close the front cover yet.
- Press and hold down the Go button for about 4 seconds until all the LEDs light up. Once all four LEDs are lit, release the Go button.
- Close the front cover.
- Make sure that the Drum LED is now off.
- Lastly, the fuser unit may be contaminated may cause the toner speck.